Quinoa is an ancient South American plant. It’s family of spinach and not a grain as lot’s of people think. You eat only the seeds of the Quinoa plant. It is seen as a ‘super food’ due to its high nutritional content. It’s packed with vitamins (B1, B2, B6, E) and minerals like Magnesium, Phosphorous, Folate, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Selenium. It contains much protein, fiber and healthy fats (omega 6). Quinoa is also popular because it’s gluten-free and can replace gluten grains. Quinoa seeds and flour are sold in Pattaya by HealtHut.
How to prepare Quinoa?
- Put the uncooked quinoa in a sieve. Keep the sieve under cold running water for a while. This ensures that the seeds will open up, making them easier to cook.
- Put the quinoa in a pan and fill it with a double amount of water. For 50 grams of quinoa, you need 100 grams/ml of water.
- Bring the pan to a boil. As soon as the water boils, lower the temperature.
- Stir regularly. Once the moisture is gone (after 12-15 minutes), the quinoa is ready. It then has a glassy appearance.
- Let the quinoa rest for another 5 minutes before using or eating it
What to prepare with Quinoa?
Quinoa is an healthier alternative to rice and potatoes. The glycemic index of quinoa is 53 which falls under low GI category. There are a lot of recipes with quinoa on the internet. We like trying them out and add even more healthy stuff. We love sharing and share our favorite recipes such as…
Quinoa blinis with walnutmilk
Blinis are usually make with buckwheat and cow milk. We use quinoaflour and walnutmilk. Walnut is another superfood.
Ingredients for 3-4 big pancakes (and 7-8 small ones)
- 100 grams Quinoa flour (is sold by HealtHut)
- 150 ml walnutmilk (is sold at Big C)
- 1 egg (biological ones you buy at A la campage)
Mix all ingredients with a whisk 1 minute. Put some butter in a baking pan. Pour one-fourth into a small bakingpan and bake the pancake on each side 2 minutes. For smaller blinis you use a bigger bakingpan and bake 3-4 at the same time. Blinis can be topped with fruits and cream. The healthier way is of course with ingredients like lettuce, tomatoes, salmon, humus, seeds, etc.